Shoreline buffers provide a final defense in blocking pollutants from entering Lake George.
1. More than 50% of all water that enters Lake George comes from streams.
2. By protecting the water quality of streams, we protect the water quality of Lake George.
3. A natural buffer along a stream bank is a simple and highly effective way to protect a stream from chemical pollutants and unhealthy levels of nutrients.
4. Stream buffers protect property from erosion and flooding by stabilizing the stream bank and containing floodwaters within the stream corridor and buffer area.
5. Streams are complex ecosystems that require fully functional buffers